How Do I Set a Very Small Stone?

Hello:

I am a beginning jewelry student and hope you will forgive my
very basic question(s). I need to set three very small stones
(2mm cabochons) onto metal (brass over silver).

On the last day of class, I attemped to make bezal cups but ran
out of time. Classes begin again this fall, however I’d like to
locate bezal cups in this size (2mm) but have not be able to do
so. Does anyone know of, or can recommend a source for 2mm cups?

Also, is there an alternate way for setting/attaching cabochons
of this size, to the piece? Many thanks for all help.

Lory

Hello:

I am a beginning jewelry student and hope you will forgive my
very basic question(s). I need to set three very small stones
(2mm cabochons) onto metal (brass over silver).

On the last day of class, I attemped to make bezal cups but ran
out of time. Classes begin again this fall, however I’d like to
locate bezal cups in this size (2mm) but have not be able to do
so. Does anyone know of, or can recommend a source for 2mm cups?

Also, is there an alternate way for setting/attaching cabochons
of this size, to the piece? Many thanks for all help.

Lory

Does anyone know of, or can recommend a source for 2mm cups?

Lory: Indian Jewelers Supply Co. in Gallup, New Mexico carries
bezel that small in sterling and nickle silver. Their number is
1-800-545-6540. Hope this helps, Scott

Since it is sometimes hard to find small bezel cup…I usually
use tubing that is the right size…you can just cut a small
crosssection of the tubing and then use a bur to cut a seat into
it ( another problem with premade bezel cups is that they usually
do not come with a gallery…with such small cabachons the added
height is often helpful to showcase the stone better). Just
solder these tubing pieces onto your piece and away you
go…If you need any further clarification, just e-mail me (
@IndiaAzure)

Hope it helps,
Susan

Dear Lory:

You are better off making the bezel cups yourself for your 2mm
stones. “store” bought bezel cups are very hard and they are very
difficult to mold around the stone with your rocket pusher…

DeDe