New Buffs

I saw a brief reference to a procedure for preparing a new buff
for use. (tripoli or rouge) It involved burning the new buffer
to get rid of loose strands, I think. What is the correct way to
start a new pad?

Thanks,
Bob B

I saw a brief reference to a procedure for preparing a new buff
for use. (tripoli or rouge) It involved burning the new buffer
to get rid of loose strands, I think.  What is the correct way to
start a new pad?

Hi Bob,

I’ve tried this burning off the nap of new buff and don’t really
care for it to much. Jewellers usually are in to much of hurry
and if all the embers aren’t out when you turn on the buff, it
burn a big hole and fills the shop with smoke. There are tools
made to raise a nap on a new buff (to expensive) but we usually
just run a worn out file tip though it a half dozen times and
then just cut long nap with a pair of scissors. Most of our
buffs are pre broken in when we buy them and don’t need much.

<<What is the best way to start a new pad?>>

What are you referring to as a pad? If you are referring to felt
lap, just screw it on a tapered spindle with the motor stopped.
Turn the shaft by hand to make sure the lap doesn’t wobble. Then
turn on the power and charge with tripoli or whatever you use.
If your lap develops grooves, take a course bench grinding wheel
(4"or 6") and hold to the lap. Move it back and for a little,
this will grind out the grooves and true up the wheel. Then just
recharge the wheel and off you go again. I hope this answers
your question. Oh and you put pads under hot tea pots so they
won’t leave rings on the bench.

Jim alpine@hay.net

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tip about using old buffs under hot tea pots.
Never would have thought of such a useful idea.

Nina
Nina - Silver Design, 9122 S. Federal Hwy, Suite 249,
Pt. St. Lucie, FL. 34952 : Toll Free:1-888-460-1800